French architect and filmmaker Vincent Hecht recently revisited Sou Fujimoto‘s House N, seven years after its completion, as part of his ongoing Japanese Collection series. Nestled within a traditional Oita neighborhood, the renowned family home resembles “living among the clouds,” as Fujimoto once described. A rich layering of space carefully eliminates the notion of distinct boundaries, allowing a subtle shift in program to place a heightened awareness on the spaces in-between.
In a nested structure, the inside is invariably the outside, and vice versa. My intention was to make an architecture that is not about space nor about form, but simply about expressing the riches of what are between houses and streets.
– Sou Fujimoto
House N Video information
- Architects: Sou Fujimoto
- Project: House N
- Project Year: 2008
- Location: Oita, Oita Prefecture, Japan
- Project Team: Yumiko Nogiri
- Structural Consultant: Jun Sato Structural Engineers
- Area: 150.0 sqm
- Filmed & Edited by: Vincent Hecht
- Music: ” Snow Soup” – Fourcolor
- Equipments : Canon 5D MkII + 24mm TS-E f/3.5 + 50mm f/1.4 + 100mm f/2.8/+ Konova Slider